Accent Reduction Pronunciation
This is the Accent Reduction Pronunciation Page. This is a practice and information resource for American English accent pronunciation. This is the page for accent and pronunciation development or pronunciation and accent development. Develop and improve pronunciation and accent so that everyone easily understands what you say. Accent Reduction: Other terms for accent reduction are accent modification and accent neutralization. There is only one word for pronunciation, and that word is pronunciation.
These recordings are not rehearsed, and they are not scripted. PDF documents and MP3 recordings will be updated from time to time. Recordings that use a more scripted presentation style will be placed here later.
Sentence Intonation Time Stress
1) Sentence Intonation PDF Intonation and time stress are very important. This is the place to start to ensure that speech is easier to understand.
1) Schwa Accent Reduction PDF – Schwa Accent Reduction Article Here’s an article to help you understand schwa, neutral vowel sound, better.
2) Schwa First Syllable PDF – In this list of words, the first vowel sound is schwa, neutral vowel sound. Practice reading the list slowly.
3) Schwa First Syllable PDF – This is list is the same as the list above, but it’s a shorter list.
4) Function Word Weak Form Practice Method PDF– Function word weak forms support sentence intonation. Practice slowly to develop the technique.
1) Con Com Prefixes PDF The vowel is neutralized, or it’s schwa, in these words that begin with the prefixes “con” and “com”. Practice the list slowly.
More Pronunciation and Accent PDFs
1) Two-syllable Words and Syllable Stress Summary PDF – Intonation practice start with two-syllable words. Practice increasing intonation pitch range.
3) English Pronunciation Sounds Checklist PDF – This is a list of American English sounds. Do you know which sounds are difficult for you? The technical word for “individual sound” is “phoneme”. Which phonemes are difficult for you to pronounce?
Sounds – Also Phonemes or Segmentals
1) OO Took Fool – Practice the vowel sounds in took and fool.
Accent Pronunciation Coaching and Training Documents – These are coaching and instructive guides for accent and pronunciation. They are not mean to take the place of real pronunciation and accent training. These are posted in HTML format at the English at Work Boston Weblog. Here they are in PDF format.
- Practice Method for Speaking
- Speaking Accent and Pronunciation Tips
- Anticipating Added Stress
- Practicing Added Stress
- Accent pronunciation tip presentations
Articles about English pronunciation and accent – These articles provide some insight and understanding about accent reduction, accent modification, and pronunciation training. These are posted in HTML format at the English at Work Boston Weblog. Here they are in PDF format.
- Content Words and Function Words
- Stress Intonation
- Accent Reduction and Repetition Reduction
- Accent Reduction in Language Training
- Suprasegmental and Segmental
- Suprasegmental Vowel Sounds
- Nasality – Accent Reduction
- Speech Improved Soundstream